[ NNSquad ] Re: New "Open Networking Foundation" may bring good -- and evil

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com> wrote:

> New "Open Networking Foundation" may bring good -- and evil

It's apparently perfectly suitable for an IncumbentNet.

We had net neutrality because anybody could become an ISP and all
those ISPs had to interoperate.  Now we may have missed the boat.

See:
> http://internetdistinction.com/statement/#Network%20Research
> http://internetdistinction.com/statement/#How%20General%20Purpose

The problem with this new networking stuff was that the policymaking
channels never, until nearly the last minute, distinguished the
Internet as a general purpose platform, from other things that might
not be, and recognized that that would allow us to develop policy in a
sane way.  Instead they persistently peopled their panels with at
least one advocate for "next generation networks" without identifying
the key characteristic that was at issue in considering those
proposals: the general purpose nature of the Internet's design.

They came close at the last minute, with their Inquiry into Two
Under-Developed Issues in the Open Internet Proceeding (
http://internetdistinction.com/statement/fcc-two-underdeveloped-issues-da-10-1667a1/
) -- which drew the key distinction.  But they (apparently) didn't
recognize the need to use it to definitively straighten out the
ridiculous discourse, (apparently) didn't see how the issue would have
resolved in the interests of us all if they had simply at bare minimum
just drawn that distinction and tracked it, and let the regulatory
questions develop within that context.

Seth