[ NNSquad ] ANU Quantum Random Numbers Server is online

ANU Quantum Random Numbers Server

http://j.mp/I2PdPS  (ANU)

   "This website offers true random numbers to anyone on the internet. The
    random numbers are generated in real-time in our lab by measuring the
    quantum fluctuations of the vacuum. The vacuum is described very
    differently in the quantum mechanical context than in the classical
    context. Traditionally, a vacuum is considered as a space that is
    empty of matter or photons. Quantum mechanically, however, that same
    space resembles a sea of virtual particles appearing and disappearing
    all the time. This results in the fact that the vacuum does not
    possess a zero-point energy, and consequently the electo-magnetic
    field describing this vacuum possesses random fluctuations in phase
    and amplitude at all frequencies. By carefully measuring these
    fluctuations, we are able to generate ultra-high bandwidth random
    numbers."

 - - -

Very nice. Very random. Too bad you can't get the data via SSL, though
there are some alternative interfaces that may (or may not) be
somewhat secure.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein (lauren@vortex.com):
http://www.vortex.com/lauren Co-Founder: People For Internet