[ NNSquad ] How least-cost routing slams rural telephone service. And it's getting worse.

How least-cost routing slams rural telephone service.  And it's getting worse.

http://j.mp/StvI4l  (Addison Independent)

   "Farmhouses surrounded with many acres of fields, houses that may be
    miles apart. It's the geography and demographics of the area," Souza
    says. "It's the same reason that there's limited cell service in these
    areas. You might put up one cell tower, but the six it would take to
    provide complete coverage in the terrain are just not cost-justified."
    A rural phone service provider like Shoreham Tel maintains a small
    network of its own copper wires, then connects with the rest of the
    world via "trunking" or switching centers connecting with a larger
    carrier. Shoreham Tel's lines have trunking with the network
    maintained by FairPoint.  "People in Sprint or Verizon don't have
    direct switching with us, but they do have direct with FairPoint's
    tandem switching. So FairPoint turns the call over to us and we
    terminate the call. The system has worked flawlessly for years," Souza
    says.  "Then the least-cost routing issue emerged in the last three
    years. Entities started doing this, shaving every last penny out of
    it. Our customers aren't happy, and we understand that. But we can't
    control the other side of the system with calls coming at us."