[ NNSquad ] House Internet Freedom bill should be called Internet Chaos Bill

House Internet Freedom bill should be called Internet Chaos Bill

http://j.mp/16MSE5q  (Tales of the Sausage Factory)

    "Today, the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Communications
     and Technology will begin mark up of the so-called "Internet Freedom
     Bill." As explained in the Majority Briefing Memo, we're still on
     about that whole "the ITU will take control of the Internet and black
     helicopters will come for out name servers" thing."  Unfortunately, as
     keeps happening with this, it looks like some folks want to hijack
     what should be a show of unity to promote their own partisan domestic
     agenda. Specifically, does the bill as worded undercut the (by
     accident or design) the Federal Communications Commission's (FCC)
     authority to do things like Network Neutrality?

     As I elaborate below, however, this is not so much a stab at net
     neutrality and the FCC generally as it is a murder/suicide. You can't
     claim that this clips the wings of the FCC to do net neutrality by
     making a law that the U.S. is opposed to "government control" of the
     Internet without also eliminating laws that deal with cybersecurity,
     copyright enforcement online, privacy, and a range of other stuff that
     are just as much "government control" of the Internet - but that most
     Republicans opposed to net neutrality actually like. Plus, as I noted
     last week when discussing the rural call completion problem, taking
     the FCC out of the equation may have some unforseen nasty consequences
     that even Republicans might not like." -