[ NNSquad ] The Supreme Court Loves the Cloud. It's not so sure about Aereo.

The Supreme Court Loves the Cloud. It's not so sure about Aereo.

(Recode): http://recode.net/2014/04/22/the-supreme-court-loves-the-cloud-its-not-sure-about-aereo/

   "As attorneys for the Web TV service and the TV networks who are suing
    it argued their case today, justices repeatedly asked about ways they
    could write a judgement that protected the rights of other cloud
    computing services, such as Dropbox, to continue operating.  But they
    seemed less concerned about Aereo's fate. Some justices wondered why
    Aereo shouldn't be considered the equivalent of cable company, which
    would give them the right to transmit TV programming -- but would also
    require them to pay for it. And others argued that Aereo seemed
    primarily designed to evade copyright law."

 - - -

If I had to guess just based on the very fragmentary pieces of the
arguments I've heard so far today, I'd bet that the court will attempt
to craft a very narrow ruling that is as limited to Aereo as possible,
but requires that if Aereo is to continue operating, it must pay
retransmission fees just like ordinary cable companies.

Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein