[ NNSquad ] Guardian: "The right to be forgotten will turn the internet into a work of fiction"

Guardian: "The right to be forgotten will turn the internet into a work of fiction"

(Guardian): http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/06/right-to-be-forgotten-internet-work-of-fiction-david-mitchell-eu-google

   "People's right to suppress unpleasant lies which are publicly told is
    being extended to unpleasant truths -- until they die when it's
    suddenly open season on slander. The internet will become constructed
    entirely of two different sorts of untruth: contemporaneous unalloyed
    praise and posthumous defamatory hearsay.

    No one has the right to be forgotten, any more than they have the
    right to be remembered. Our only right in this regard should be not to
    be lied about. And then maybe we can try to see the unflattering facts
    of other people's pasts in the light of our own imperfections. I
    wouldn't think less of someone because his house was repossessed 16
    years ago. But I would if he turned out to be a liar."

I am a consultant to Google -- I speak only for myself, not for them.
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein