[ NNSquad ] [IP] Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

----- Forwarded message from David Farber via ip <ip@listbox.com> -----

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 16:42:10 -0400
From: David Farber via ip <ip@listbox.com>
Subject: [IP] Verizon Public Policy on Netflix
To: ip <ip@listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jay Ashworth <jra@baylink.com>
Subject: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix
Date: July 10, 2014 at 4:01:43 PM EDT
To: NANOG <nanog@nanog.org>

Here's a link to a post from VZN's public policy blog, about Netflix.

Now, just as a matter of principle, I tend to assume that anything VZN
says in public is a self-serving lie based on a poor understanding of the
Real World... but I did in fact read it.

Yup.

The money quote:

  One might wonder why Netflix and its transit providers were the only ones
  that ran into congestion issues. What it boils down to is this: these other
  transit and content providers took steps to ensure that there was adequate
  capacity for their traffic to enter our network.

"their traffic".

What, Verizon: Netflix is just sending you that traffic uninvited?

No: that's *your customers traffic*.  You *knew* that there would be
asymmetrical amounts of traffic flowing downhill to your customers,
*or you wouldn't have provisioned nearly uniformly asymmetrical last
mile links to them*.

You just lost the bet on how much traffic that would be.

That's why they call it gambling: sometimes you lose.  You lost.
Man up and provision usable peering.  That traffic is your responsiblity.
If you decided not to charge your customers enough to provision for
it, take it out of retained earnings.

Just don't try to convince us all that, somehow, that traffic flow isn't
your customers traffic, and thus yours.  Netflix's only fault is being
popular.

 http://publicpolicy.verizon.com/blog/entry/why-is-netflix-buffering-dispelling-the-congestion-myth

Cheers,
-- jra