[ NNSquad ] "Email Is Still the Best Thing on the Internet"

"Email Is Still the Best Thing on the Internet"

(Atlantic): http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/08/why-email-will-never-die/375973/

     Yet, despite all the prognosticators predicting it will--choose the
     violence level of your metaphor--go out of style, be put out to
     pasture, or taken out back and shot, email grinds on.

     You can't kill email! It's the cockroach of the Internet, and I mean
     that as a compliment. This resilience is a good thing.

     "There isn't much to sending or receiving email and that's sort of the
     point," observed Aaron Straup Cope, the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum's
     Senior Engineer in Digital and Emerging Media. "The next time someone
     tells you email is 'dead,' try to imagine the cost of investing in
     their solution or the cost of giving up all the flexibility that email
     affords."

     Email is actually a tremendous, decentralized, open platform on which
     new, innovative things can and have been built. In that way, email
     represents a different model from the closed ecosystems we see
     proliferating across our computers and devices.

I am a consultant to Google -- I speak only for myself, not for them.
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein