[ NNSquad ] Comcast to FCC: We already face enough competition, so let us buy TWC

Comcast to FCC: We already face enough competition, so let us buy TWC

(Ars): http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/09/comcast-to-fcc-we-already-face-enough-competition/

    Comcast and Time Warner Cable don't compete for customers in any city
    or town, despite being the nation's two largest cable companies, which
    helps explain why US residents have so few viable options for cable
    and high-speed Internet service. But in response to merger-related
    questions from the FCC, a Comcast filing points to a broad range of
    competitors and says it's easy to switch to a different provider
    (though a horde of angry customers might disagree).  But will the FCC
    block Comcast/Time Warner Cable merger? Wheeler doesn't say.  Comcast
    said it faces competition from municipal broadband networks, though
    the telecom industry has pushed state governments to pass laws that
    restrict municipal broadband growth.

 - - -

"And consumers are free to watch videos to their hearts content over
the acoustically coupled 300bps modems the merged Comcast/Time Warner Cable
promises to provide for free in our new expanded service areas!"

I am a consultant to Google -- I speak only for myself, not for them.
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein