[ NNSquad ] Eric Schmidt in Berlin: "The New Grundergeist"

Eric Schmidt in Berlin: "The New Grundergeist"

(Google): http://googlepolicyeurope.blogspot.be/2014/10/the-new-grundergeist.html

    "History has proven that size and past success are no guarantee for
     the future. Great companies can be surpassed swiftly. Look at Yahoo,
     Nokia, Microsoft, Blackberry and others who seemed unrivaled just a
     few years ago, but were disrupted by a new wave of tech companies,
     Google among them. Many of you are skeptical. I get that. You look at
     Google, Apple, Facebook, and Amazon and say there's no way competitors
     can beat them. I'm less certain.

     For one thing, these companies are each others' biggest
     competitors, because in tech competition isn't always
     like-for-like. Many people think our main competition is Bing or
     Yahoo. But, really, our biggest search competitor is Amazon.
     People don't think of Amazon as search, but if you are looking
     for something to buy, you are more often than not looking for it
     on Amazon. They are obviously more focused on the commerce side
     of the equation, but, at their roots, they are answering users'
     questions and searches, just as we are.

     But more important, someone, somewhere in a garage is gunning for
     us. I know, because not long ago we were in that garage. Change
     comes from where you least expect it. The telegraph disrupted the
     postal service.  Radio and television shook up the news industry.
     Airplanes ended the age of ocean liners. The next Google won't do
     what Google does, just as Google didn't do what AOL did.
     Inventions are always dynamic and the resulting upheavals should
     make us confident that the future won't be static. This is the
     process of innovation ..."

I am a consultant to Google -- I speak only for myself, not for them.
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein