[ NNSquad ] Re: Comcast using Sandvine to Interfere with P2P

I'm a Comcast subscriber (technically Earthlink over Comcast).

I've noted repeatedly that when I do a file transfer using AOL's AIM 6.0
with another Comcast subscriber, the transfer rate degrades to half or less
than it's initial rate in a short period of time. Sometimes it just stops.

I don't have this problem sitting in Starbucks using T-Mobile's wireless
service.

I fail to understand how penalizing one application over others using traffic
shaping technologies is consistent with NetNeutrality.

Even if the possibility of such behavior is noted in
my subscriber agreement, given Comcast's monopoly in my service area
(I live in an MDU and RCN won't provide service; FIOS, which has other
issues, is not available in my town, and let's not talk about DSL please)
it seems that I am unable to "rent-a-neutral-pipe" which is what I
would believe
is one definition of NN.

Best

Bob Weber

--------------------
Managing Director, Strategy Kinetics, LLC
50 Watertown Street, Ste 607, Watertown, MA 02472-2533
Voice: 617-308-3336,  eFax: 617-812-0443
AIM/Skype: BobWeberBOS
www.managingrights.com
www.strategykinetics.com

I'm a Comcast subscriber (technically Earthlink over Comcast).<br><br>
I've noted repeatedly that when I do a file transfer using AOL's AIM 6.0
with another Comcast subscriber, the transfer rate degrades to half or
less<br>
than it's initial rate in a short period of time. Sometimes it just
stops.<br><br>
I don't have this problem sitting in Starbucks using T-Mobile's
wireless<br>
service.<br><br>
I fail to understand how penalizing one application over others using
traffic<br>
shaping technologies is consistent with NetNeutrality. <br><br>
Even if the possibility of such behavior is noted in<br>
my subscriber agreement, given Comcast's monopoly in my service area<br>
(I live in an MDU and RCN won't provide service; FIOS, which has
other<br>
issues, is not available in my town, and let's not talk about DSL
please)<br>
it seems that I am unable to &quot;rent-a-neutral-pipe&quot; which is
what I would believe<br>
is one definition of NN.<br><br>
Best<br><br>
Bob Weber<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Managing Director, Strategy Kinetics, LLC<br>
50 Watertown Street, Ste 607, Watertown, MA 02472-2533<br>
Voice: 617-308-3336,&nbsp; eFax: 617-812-0443<br>
AIM/Skype: BobWeberBOS<br>
www.managingrights.com<br>
</a><a href="http://www.strategykinetics.com/"; eudora="autourl">