[ NNSquad ] Re: Comcast limits on outbound e-mail traffic?

Hello All,

> All of those facts make a good case for choosing to block outbound
> port 25.  Should you choose to do that, then your network is less
> "neutral" than one that doesn't block outbound port 25.

One must consider the effect this has on small business choosing to
satisfy its IT needs internally.  When I first signed on for cable service
with BrightHouse, I found that my IP address was not only on a RBL, but
that i had to pay a premium for an IP that could act as an MX to "teh
interweb,"  i.e. any user on a major commercial network using that
networks SMTP/POP service.  MX worked fine, however, to most anyone
running an actual internet host, as the majority of this class of user
will not subscribe to RBL services.  I was slightly disgruntled at this
point, as mail from my own MX to my mother's email account was bounced
with an error message telling me I was spam.  My frustration rose
exponentially when I found that port 80 outbound was also blocked in the
upstream routers.  I was only able to rememdy this situation with a
personal, unannounced visit to the local NOC of the provider, laptop and
recent IETF attendee badge in hand and explanation of the end to end
architecture of the internet on my lips.

Further, the practice of asynchronous throughput with the surplus upstream
being syphoned to the carriers datacenters for the purpose of encouraging
users to avail themselves of said carriers hosting services does not seem
very reasonable either, particularly when there is an additional financial
premium placed upon a slightly less asynchronous circuit that is actually
capable of providing reasonable http service to more than 2-3 connections
simultaneously.

Enjoy,
Scott