[ NNSquad ] Re: Is network unneutrality necessarily bad?

[Sent this the other day and failed to use reply-all..  *Sigh*
Re-sending to the list...  Any chance of adding a Reply-To header?]

On Nov 8, 2007 6:51 PM, Vint Cerf <vint@google.com> wrote:
> The more critical question from my perspective is deliberate blocking or degradation based on protocol or on the parties communicating. The internet sewervcice should not discriminate based solely on protocol or the identity of the correspondents. Differentiated service is fine if all classes requiring this treatment have equal access to it. V

This brings up an interesting question.  What about deliberate
blocking for virii, bots, etc?  For instance, many ISPs now block port
25 outbound to all but the local mail server.  Other ISPs block the
Netbios protocols.

Personally, I think those blocks help in many cases.  I'm not sure
there are legitimate reasons to use Netbios across the Internet, and
port 587 is acceptable for MSA support.

Thoughts?

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold