[ NNSquad ] Re: Neutrality in Perspective

At 02:42 PM 11/13/2007, Bob Frankston wrote:

Ultimately the solution is local ownership of local (physical) infrastructure and a focus on the First Square Mile (FSM) rather than the First (or Last) mile access to the emergent property we call "The Internet" or, worse, "Internet".

That's exactly what small, local ISPs such as LARIAT represent, Bob: local, responsive, consumer-friendly ownership of local physical infrastructure. But if you try to micromanage and legislate how we do business without having been in the trenches, you risk destroying us and leaving behind the duopoly you seem to dislike. Tactics that won't put a scratch on the hides of the huge behemoths such as Comcast and Verizon will put us right out of business. In fact, I could just see those behemoths pushing through the sort of regulation you propose for their competitors (like us) but getting exemptions for themselves. What a great anti-competitive move: Throw the little guys in the pit to be devoured by the rabid end-to-endians. Don't laugh; it's a likely outcome of the move toward so-called "network neutrality" legislation.

--Brett Glass, LARIAT.NET