[ NNSquad ] Re: Comments on NNSquad Purpose

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Phil Karn <karn@ka9q.net> wrote:

< ... />

Net neutrality is neutrality with respect to the meaning and
destination of the bits that I send and receive. This is
completely distinct from the number of bits that I send and
receive.

It is perfectly reasonable for carriers to charge by the bit,
though many users would prefer to pay a flat rate even though
they end up paying more to get a predictable bill. But when you
do pay by the bit, the carrier has even less of an excuse to
tell me what I can do with those bits.

Yes. So far, on this list, and in the newspapers, one of the excuses given for abusive "network management" is that Net connection companies cannot just charge by the bit. The excuse runs "We cannot charge by the bit because, if we did, sometimes people would hit a limit, or get a big bill. So instead we declare that certain users are bad users, doing bad things, and these bad users' packet streams we suppress. Also, being honest about our practice would lose us customers, so we systematically mislead.". This excuse is ridiculous on its face. To recur to the old POTS network, it ran under common carriage rules, and certainly users were charged for call time. Charging by the bit, as you have laid out in an earlier post, will often help alleviate the difficulties the Net connection company owner complains of.

ad old PSTN: The "make a circuit" style of the old PSTN itself,
as contrasted with the "let's try to get these packets here
through the pipes" style of the Net, eased some of the problems
Brett Glass worries about.  As Vint Cerf pointed out, the busy
signal is a clear and simple signal.  A busy signal gives less
occasion for confusion about such matters as "what's my
bandwidth?", "abuse of the network", "massive copyright
infringement", "bad users", etc..

oo--JS.