[ NNSquad ] [OT] is a link a link?

In connection with the webpage content-hijacking discussion:

I forget the name for it, but there is a technology which overlays selected ordinary text in a webpage with a link to a pop-up (which often displays a commercial message). Since I presume this is being applied at the originating website, it's off-topic regarding content modification by ISPs (though who knows).

On a webpage where this occurs, to my dismay I cannot visually distinguish between links originally provided by the text author (e.g., for clarification) and links subsequently introduced by someone else (e.g., for advertising). The best I can do is hover my cursor over what looks like a link, to let the browser display the URL for that "link" (and hope for no intervention by a pop-up).

mikus