[ NNSquad ] Re: P2P resource taking (was Re: pcap files of the Comcast forgeries?)

I tend to agree. I'm a Bell Sympatico Customer as of right now. That
*will* be changing.

I pay for a 5MBit connection with no download cap.

This means:

1. I'm paying for a connection that could give me a potential download
rate of 5MBit.

2. I can download as much data as that bandwidth will allow per month.

There are no additional rules on usage.

Bell used to offer some plans at a discount, which had a monthly
download cap. These accounts were great for occasional users.

If an ISP offers me X Bandwidth, with no monthly cap, and no
additional usage restrictions, I expect to get that. Its what I pay
for.

No Analogy, No Story, No Excuse is going to convince me that their
limiting my usage based on unspoken rules is OK.

Its not OK. It never will be.

   [ Brett would argue, I think, that he has to keep the specific rules
     "secret" or they'd be ineffective against the "bad guys"...  This of
     course has been a popular refrain of governments throughout the ages in
     all sorts of non-technical contexts as well.  It's sort of like
     the White House refusing to say which torture techniques it uses, because
     that would "tip off the terrorists" -- only then do we discover that at
     least one technique that has long been categorized as a war crime,
     even by our own military, was apparently used.

     Sorry to digress, but the point is that secret rules, like secret
     trials, are anathemas.