[ NNSquad ] Catch-22 for sending email

Thursday night. Marji tries to send email, but it doesn't go. Maybe the SMTP server is down. It happens occasionally. Try again in the morning.

Friday morning. Same thing. I call Comcast tech. support. They redirect me to Comcast security.

Talk to security. They tell me they've blocked port 25 for us because they think we've sent spam. They instruct me to use an alternate port for SMTP and to enable authentication, which I do. (My port 25 SMTP email already required authentication.)

I want to know why they think I'm a spammer. I have a firewall/router. I run Linux, Marji runs MacOS. Our machines are off most of the day. How could I be a spammer?

They say we sent email that someone reported as spam. Huh? After a little more probing, they say the message has something to do with a party. (So, I've been blacklisted on the basis of a single message!) Hmmm. Marji sent email to a bunch of friends to invite them to a party. There were maybe 20 recipients. Me: Is that it? Comcast: Can't say. Me: Too many recipients? Comcast: No, 20 is okay. Me: Well, who complained? Comcast: Can't say, but I should try pruning the recipient list to avoid future problems.

Eh? Catch-22. They won't tell me who complained about the message, but I should eliminate them from the recipient list!

The whole thing is truly weird. I know each of the people who was invited personally, and they know me. I can't imagine any of them complaining about the email. The only other possibility is that an ISP or, more likely, a company (I used the work addresses of three recipients) passed the message along to the recipient but, seeing that the subject mentioned a party, decided ... what? None of the recipients has said anything to me, like "Our IT security people tagged your email as spam."

I feel a bit like the people held at Gitmo: You've been bad, we can't tell you who said so, and we won't give you any information that you could use to clear your name.

It would be nice if Comcast were a bit more transparent in this case. I'll be interested to get other ISPs' side of this.

Dave Kristol