[ NNSquad ] Re: globeandmail.com: Canadian ISPs won't block content: expert

There is a similar article at:

that also says:
Many ISPs have so far proved reluctant to engage on the matter, but the
music industry is hoping this could change following a move by French
President Nicolas Sarkozy to block Web access to those frequently
downloading music or films illegally.

"It is hard to persuade anyone to be a pioneer but what we have with the
French government is a very energetic government understanding how
important the French music industry is to French business and culture,"
IFPI Chief Executive John Kennedy told Reuters.

....The industry has also been boosted by a landmark ruling in Belgium
which ordered a service provider to block illegal file-sharing?although
the company is appealing?while in Britain, the government has said it
could impose legislation if an agreed settlement between both sides cannot
be found.

...Physical sales of music have dropped, with total album sales plunging
15 percent in 2007 in the United States, the world's biggest music market,
and falling over 10 percent in Britain.

First, imo only, global numbers are for cd/album sales. This does not take
into account online purchases from Apple and others. There is no info on
where they think is the most piracy - most likely Asia if it follows
software piracy.

It also appears to be the industry groups think if they say the same thing
(even if not true) often enough eventually people believe them. I think
they learned from politicians.

In the US there is case law (I forget the case) that says an isp is not
responsible for the data that goes over/thru their wires.

These associations do not represent the artists. The artists actually get
very little money comparitively from cd sales. Their money is from tours
and merchandise. A new artist can actually owe the recording company money
after cutting a first and second album.

Not mentioned is that the industry seeds p2p with both audio and video
they want to promote.

Last, but not least, the people in this industry do not want to give up a
cent that contributes to their extravagant life and work styles.

     [ The other issues raised above aside, I know numerous people
       involved in the film and music industries here in L.A, and none
       of them have "extravagant life and work styles" -- guess I
       just travel in the wrong circles, so to speak.  I actually blogged
       on the misconceptions in this regard recently in the context of
       the ongoing Writers Guild strike:
       "The Writers' Strike: Internet Impacts Above and Below the Line"
       ( http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000345.html ).