[ NNSquad ] Re: Speculation, how AT&T can implement "copyright filtering" without wiretapping/dpi...

> Accept it, identifying that a LARGE piece of content is a blatent copyright violation is a straightforward technical problem, and robust to the arms race with just a little effort.

Who are you to make the laws. Fair use/Fair dealing do _not_ explicitly state length as a final criteria. In-fact, there are many fair uses that would include large portions of copyrighted materials -- especially as it relates to criticism and transformative works. 'A Fair(y) use tail' ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJn_jC4FNDo ) is entirely copyrighted content, but it is undeniably fair use. One could even see how an entire feature length movie, with a critical audio commentary could be considered fair use. Whether it's 'critical' enough is left to a judge, and a very complex legal test.

You simply cant write a piece of software to understand such fuzzy logic as fair use. How would you teach it to discern amount and substantiality or the effect upon value of a copyrighted work.  Can a software system determine the purpose or character for copying? What of news reporting?

No such system exists, or could exist, and we've seen lots of automated systems result in false DMCA letters.

---

> You have a very hard case for neutrality to make when the opposition is:

> a)  It works with VERY high precision and VERY low side effects

Low side effects are not the test here. No side effects are. You're argument reads like, ... "well whats wrong with a -little- censorship"

> b) It does not affect non-infringing uses of BitTorrent.

Sure it does, because you cant detect infringement with legal accuracy.

> c)  It cuts the Internet bandwidth used by a huge fraction.

This hasn't been proven; its equally arguable that it would increase bandwidth use by a huge fraction as pirates turn to encrypted and alternative means of transfers.

> d)  It does NOT involve wiretapping/deep packet inspection, or even
> require the ISP to make a determination at all, but simply allows
> copyright holders to enforce their rights.

Copyright holders are not officers of the law. They can't determine if an instance of something found in the public violates their copyrights -- that determination is for a judge to make.

> e)  They lie and also say it can also stop kiddie porn.

There are alternative systems for this (we have our own misguided one in Canada called cleanfeed, though its scope has been reduced greatly (to foreign servers only) and now has more oversight). Even for this goal there are huge problems with the systems. (See: http://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2007/03/07/Watchdog/ )

In the end, the case is not really a neutrality one _in this limited scenario_ but it is a major issue of digital policy, and certainly not one to be left to a collusion of big media and telecom companies.

Any system that removes court oversight in enforcement would have to come with massive liabilities for abuse. In-essence, if this system were implemented, one would have to make an overblocker liable for that blocking. $10,000 per blocked p2p transfer sounds about right (~_~)

Nick Weaver wrote:
I think there are a few misunderstandings...