[ NNSquad ] Push Continues for Mandated Internet Access Bans

Greetings.  It's reported that while ISPs are still hoping for
voluntary agreements, there is a push onward in the surveillance
society of the United Kingdom to terminate the Internet access of
file sharers declared to be downloading in an illegal manner
(however this might be defined by the MPAA, RIAA, and cohort groups,
one would assume).

This "London Times" article notes some of the practical issues
involved:
http://timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article3353387.ece

Without getting into the details of such proposals here, I find
myself increasingly concerned about the very concept of people being
"Banned From the Internet" -- and what the ramifications of such
bans would be.

Since a user tossed from one ISP would presumably try to move to
another (where real ISP competition exists, anyway) it would seem
that such bans would not be "effective" unless a "banned user
blacklist" were in place, and even then we can assume that such
users will attempt to find other public or private access points, or
resort to using open Wi-Fi access points (a technology issue that
the article above does note).

Until recently, the only Internet access bans I've heard of being
proposed or implmented are court-ordered for particular high-profile
hackers, child molesters, and the like.  Even these would often be
highly problematic if they *were* somehow completely effective.

The reason is simple.  Internet access is rapidly becoming a
foundational utility in our modern societies, like ordinary voice
telephone service has been for decades.  Ever increasing numbers of
commercial and government functions -- and all manner of necessary
information services of course -- depend primarily or completely on
Internet access, even as non-Net alternatives dwindle or are
surcharged.

Unless we wish to create an entire new underclass of "Netless
Persons" unable to function on par with most members of society -- a
situation that would be sure to bring with it a range of unintended
negative consequences for society itself -- we should think long and
hard about whether or not the concept of banning persons from the
Net makes any more sense than ordering that someone live without
basic phone service or even electricity.