[ NNSquad ] Re: Net Neutrality and Competition

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Rollie Cole <rolliecole@gmail.com> wrote:
>From TechDirt 2/20/2008:
Note also that a physically "abundant" network, like one built with
optical fiber, can be run as if it were scarce (reserving a huge
percentage of the bandwidth for the provider's content, thus making
the remainder scarce/tight). But note also as Verizon, for instance,
is gaining more experience with its fiber to the home deployments, it
is gradually increasing the percentage of the bandwidth open to
non-Verizon content in response to market demand (it can charge higher
prices than for its own content and has less churn).

So maybe, just maybe, this political/social problem could have a
technology solution.

I want to help NNSquad and similar efforts, but deep down I think you've nailed it.  The most likely solution would be for a large and aggressive provider to come up with a way to give the consumers what they want.  As the needs of the people become more and more sophisticated, some corporation might get the picture and offer services that would actually work.  The Comcasts and AT&Ts of today would need to adapt or resign themselves to offering lower-tier service, eventually at a lower-tier price.  I know fully well that it could take quite a few years, and that there are very few signs that the market is headed that way.  But let's face it -- we are ahead of the curve when you compare our habits and needs to those of the typical consumer.  The Telcos and CATV folks are always a decade or two late.   The problem could fix itself if we could give it another 10-15 years.

That said, we can do a lot to speed the change process by helping to educate consumers.  Many of them have no idea that they could have it better.  We can shame the corporations that just don't get it, and show their customers exactly why they are not getting the type of premium product they may think they are paying to receive.  I think that might be more effective than pursuing a legislative agenda.

AndyR