[ NNSquad ] Messages regarding Internet video and other high traffic applications

Greetings.  In response to Bob Frankston's recent posting about the
initial choppiness he saw on a 2 Mbps video stream over his FiOS
connection, a flurry of responses to and from him were cc'd to this
list.  Rather than post them all here, I'm going to summarize a few
key points that I believe are most relevant:

Bob wondered if Verizon might be detecting that the stream was video
and treating it in a particular manner based on that determination.

Brett Glass replied with: "And so you're complaining?  Be glad.
Many ISPs would cut off or throttle a stream that heavy."
(Brett, could you provide us with contacts at any ISPs -- other than
your own of course -- that we can contact to better understand the basis
of your apparently categorical assertion?  Thanks.)

Bob suggested that a 2 Mbps stream isn't all that heavy by today's
standards.

I agree that this is increasingly the case.  Full screen SD and "HD"
video streams are becoming more common on many sites for streaming
to PCs.  Also, a number of consumer devices -- some of which compete
directly with ISP TV/movie offerings -- will stream and/or download
considerably faster.  TiVo HD seems to take around half the
available bandwidth up to 10 Mbps at least.  A number of
specialized movie downloading boxes are now on the market with
similar characteristics.  As these devices penetrate into more homes
and are more widely used, P2P may have a lot of high bandwidth
company.

And on that topic, Brett noted an article at The Register related to
non-P2P applications and their ISP impacts:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/20/iplayer_isps_broke/

Warren Kumari wrote that any number of factors other than
ISP-specific actions targeting video could have been responsible for
the effects that Bob saw, and mentioned that while technically
auto-bandwidth rerouting could be involved, that's almost certainly
not what's going on in this case.  I agree with Warren on both
points.

And so it goes ...