[ NNSquad ] Re: Comcast Blocks the Public, Too

I'm an nnsquad lurker, as I'm sure many, many of us are.  I read the debates and the arguments, and for the most part feel much more educated on the Network Neutrality issues than I had ever been beforehand.

My history with the Internet goes back to 1994, when it first started gaining acceptance en-masse by the general populace.  While most of my peers went the AOL route, my parents (I was 13 at the time) went with local, "neutral" providers.  Then I worked for an ISP right out of high-school.  Instead of college, I spent 4 years in the industry moving from general tech support, to ATM/Frame Relay circuits, a little routing, lots of server administration, and even web programming.  In short, the Internet has been my life.

As an idealist, I believe the network should be largely unfettered, and that as demands increase, supply will too--they already have many times over.  I remember paying $80/mo. for ADSL at 256kbps 6 years ago.  Today, I pay Comcast $40/mo. for upwards of 5mbps.  That was, until I read today's article in Portfolio.  I find myself quitting a really good service, over which I never had a problem with bittorrent, Vuze, or really any large content provider's service (ComedyCentral's site, the Pirate Bay, et al), all because of their underhanded, sinister tampering of a public hearing.

Before this point, having not really been adversely affected (I really don't download anything illegal), I was willing to entertain their notion of fairness by presenting biased programs as methods of legitimate network management.  But then they tampered with the scales... and suddenly their lies aren't just accidentally secret, they're enemy action.  I hate overtly popular movies, but sometimes I glean good ideas from them, and this one comes from "Wild Things":  The commissioner says, "Iʼve spent some time in Military Intelligence, and we had a saying there: once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action."
1.) they forged packets without notification
2.) they lied about it
3.) they rigged a public hearing about it

That's all the evidence I need that Comcast feels distinctly threatened by a very simple concept: that tiering the Internet, and allowing ISPs to decide that Google pages run faster than Yahoo pages--because Google might theoretically provide more kickbacks--is fundamentally wrong.

Information wants to be free, and ISPs have started to move beyond simply taxing access to it, and into the desire to tax specific classes of information.  All of this, while oppressing the representation of the people.  I'm throwing my tea overboard--who's with me?

-Dave