[ NNSquad ] FW: BitTorrent bandwidth usage (from IP)

Nice post, Brad.

I have always resisted Bennett's argument that P2P applications are servers.
They fail several tests -- one: P2P applications have a UI, servers are
generally faceless daemons.  two: P2P and Client-Server are different
architectures and the role of a P2P application is quite different than the
role of a Server in a Client-Server architecture.  three: In the specific
instance (Comcast) that Bennett is shilling for, even Comcast PR and
Comcast's Executive Vice President Cohen have repeatedly stated that they
have no problem with BitTorrent being used to upload or download on their
network.

Gnutella and eDonkey and DC++ are no worse or better than BitTorrent when it
comes to consuming Bandwidth.  Even P2P FTP uploads will consume as much
bandwidth as they can.  BitTorrent is not at all special in this regard.

Remember also that DOCSIS ISPs and WISPs do have the option of setting a
bandwidth limit, even if that limit is lower than the temporary speeds that
their modem settings might allow them to attain.  Without stating such a
limit, what else is the consumer to assume but that his speed limit is also
his bandwidth limit?

Robb Topolski