[ NNSquad ] Re: Competition

I believe that there are various ways to look at this.  From the standpoint
of the average Internet user, their window on the Net is whichever
entity bills them.

This chart from Public Knowledge is instructive:
http://www.publicknowledge.org/pdf/uk-isp-20070905.html

It lists almost 30 firms, and far more service packages, offering
Internet access to the same location in the U.K. -- a clear result
of the effective unbundling of wholesale and retail in the access
marketplace.  How many of these guys will stay in business long?
Hard to predict, but does any location in the U.S. even come close
to having access to such a range of choices?

Of course, all these firms haven't run their own wires.  There's
satellite and DSL and Cable, but unlike in the U.S. where the
dominant powers gamed Congress and the FCC to minimize wholesale
access and competitive risk, other countries have embraced it.

Even if we take the view that access services are a natural
monopoly, that leaves us with the question of who should be running
the ball game.  Bob Frankston asserts that communities should own
their own Internet infrastructure as utilities -- he'd cut most ISPs
as they exist today out of the game entirely (my interpretation of
his position).

Frankly, there's much to admire in that scenario if we take the long
view, but I'm unconvinced that it's broadly realistic in the short
term for most areas, so I tend to concentrate on incremental
(though very much non-trivial) improvements to the current status quo.

But where we are right now, with extremely limited Internet access
choices for most U.S. Internet users, combined with ISPs who are
treating their networks like individual, technological fiefdoms,
is likely not viable indefinitely.

When Internet access for most consumers was mostly a perk, a toy, a
novelty, this didn't matter so much.  But transparent and neutral
Internet access is rapidly becoming a *necessity* of modern life.

As some ISPs continue to push the envelope in terms of inspecting,
manipulating, controlling, inserting, and blocking data, they are
increasingly raising the risk of major consumer, legislative, and
regulatory pushback.

Internet users won't accept being played as fools indefinitely.