[ NNSquad ] Japanese bandwidth throttling (from IP)

------- Forwarded Message

From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
To: "ip" <ip@v2.listbox.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 00:54:10 -0800
Subject: [IP] restricted Internet usage in Japan, and IPv6 problems from NTT

From: Rod Van Meter [rdv@sfc.wide.ad.jp]
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 8:49 PM
To: David Farber

Dave, for IP, if you wish...

>From today's Daily Yomiuri:
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20080303TDY01302.htm

About 40 percent of Internet providers restrict communication by heavy
users to prevent Internet jams, slowing down communication speeds as
information flow increases, according to a survey by the Japan Internet
Providers Association.

<snip>

Of the 276 respondents, 69 companies said they restricted information
flow through their lines. A total of 106 companies, including those that
rent lines from infrastructure owners, impose such restrictions.
Twenty-nine companies said they were planning to take similar measures.

<snip>

However, 26 of the 69 companies said they had received complaints from
heavy users about slower communication speed.

Of the 69 companies, 64 said such restrictions had proved effective.
They said the communication speed of all users had improved and the
number of complaints from nonheavy users had decreased.

According to an Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry estimate,
the volume of domestic data flow per second through communication lines
increased 2.5 times over the past three years. The daily volume is now
equal to that carried on about 2 million DVDs.

<end>

At our house, we have FLETS Gigabit family type as our circuit, and IIJ
as our ISP.  The gigabit family type is 100Mbps first hop, 1Gbps second
hop, shared among up to 32 houses.  I've never noticed any restrictions
or problems, but then, our house doesn't qualify as "heavy" by their
standards -- we download the occasional Fedora DVD image, upload a few
megabytes of photos a day, but that's it -- no BitTorrent, no video over
the web (Yahoo!BB, for example, pushes a lot of video to their
customers), etc.

As long as I'm writing, I've recently encountered a problem with IPv6 at
our house: my laptop always has v6 enabled, which works great when I'm
on campus, and used to be ignored at home, since I don't have v6 at home
(yet; IIJ used to charge a lot of money (couple of hundred bucks a
month) for v6 service since it was a "business" service rather than
home, but they probably don't any more -- I should check).

However, recently NTT has started providing Router Advertisements and
Neighbor Discovery for v6 on our home network -- despite the fact that
they provide the *circuit*, not the *IP* service!  My laptop picks up
the prefix, and dutifully tries to use it, to no avail -- they
advertise, but they don't forward packets :-(.  I have to wait minutes
while my SSH and other sessions time out and switch to v4.

Word from others here (though I haven't yet gotten around to complaining
to NTT) is that NTT uses IPv6 for management, and for dedicated
appliances, such as a video set top box they might sell you.

Obviously, not very many people are running with IPv6 enabled on their
machines yet (or, alternatively, are configured to prefer v4 and so
haven't noticed), or NTT would be drowning in complaints.

                --Rod