[ NNSquad ] Re: [IP] Informal translation of Report on Network Neutrality Working Group on Network Neutrality Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications,

I tried skimming the report and I get a strong sense that we are confronting Gordian’s knot with tweezers.

The NGN people can’t see the simplicity of the Internet because they are treating it is another network rather than a dynamic. Perhaps it’s telling that report cites ITU, OECD and APEC. The letter IETF appear nowhere in the report. Nor do ICANN or DNS.

There’s a lot of concern about QoS, surcharging heavy users, settlement costs and all the complexities of the old networks while failing to make the transition to seeing networking as something we do. One section is titled “Understanding traffic through deeper analysis” (DPI??) rather recognizing that we can’t predict the future. It’s seen in terms of content distribution and advertising. The devices are all “terminals” rather than participants.

If you ask the wrong questions it’s hard to expect a reasonable answer.

http://www.frankston.com/public