[ NNSquad ] Re: Two NN Events Tomorrow (Well, Today)

She nailed it.  Haven't seen all the testimony, but Crawford frames it
exactly right.  Her initial statement starts at 46 minutes in.
Haven't seen the rest, including the back-and-forth, as I am living in
a dialup universe . . .

The link originally provided was dysfunctional throughout the hearing
(and if you try to break the URL opaqueness barrier, that link
actually appears to be an old link to something in February last
year).

But there's an archive link up now that works:

> http://judiciary.edgeboss.net/real/judiciary/full/antitrust031108.smi

. . . which works for me when I hack the extension:

> http://judiciary.edgeboss.net/real/judiciary/full/antitrust031108.ram

This is available off the hearing's dedicated page:

> http://judiciary.house.gov/oversight.aspx?ID=426

Seth

Seth Johnson wrote:

> Video of the Judiciary Committee Hearing at:
> > http://boss.streamos.com/real-live/judiciary/17223/56_judiciary-coj_2141_070212.ram
>
> Seth
>
> Seth Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Two events tomorrow, same time:
> >
> > Susan Crawford will speak to the House Judiciary Committee, along with
> > Damian Kulash of OK Go, Michele Combs of Christian Coalition of
> > America, Rick Carnes of Songwriters Guild of America, Caroline
> > Fredrickson of ACLU, and Christopher Yoo of University of
> > Pennsylvania:
> >
> > Tuesday 03/11/2008 - 2:00 PM
> > 2141 Rayburn House Office Building
> > Judiciary Committee Antitrust Task Force
> > Hearing on Net Neutrality and Free Speech on the Internet
> > > http://judiciary.house.gov/oversight.aspx?ID=426
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Harold Feld of Media Access Project and Marvin Ammori of Free Press
> > will debate Ken Ferree of the Progress and Freedom Foundation and
> > Lawrence Spiwak of the Phoenix Center:
> >
> > Broadband Industry Practices Webcast
> > Debate on Net Neutrality
> > March 11, 2008 - 2 PM ET
> > > http://www.vontv.net/events/080311/
> >
> > Susan has the bigger task, I think, as she will deal with Christopher
> > Yoo's odd indirection, and apparently copyright stakeholders are being
> > thrown into the mix (which really is off the point, but it suggests
> > the level the proceeding will be starting from).
> >
> > However, if she is true to form, she can be expected to make the
> > single most important point that needs to be stressed as the
> > discussion moves toward "network management" and "quality of service"
> > -- that the Internet platform is general purpose.  This is the most
> > important technical point that must always be incorporated in the
> > discussion of NN, which will allow us to distinguish what really is
> > problematic and what is not.  That point leads to practical and
> > constructive insight, providing the opportunity for all participants
> > to come to understanding of where numerous, diverse concerns are
> > appropriately positioned, while we discuss the free speech, privacy,
> > common carriage, antitrust, nondiscrimination and other key issues
> > that are implied in the "net neutrality" issue.
> >
> > Seth

I reserve no rights restricting copying, modification or distribution
of this incidentally recorded communication.  Original authorship
should be attributed reasonably, but only so far as such an
expectation might hold for usual practice in ordinary social discourse
to which one holds no claim of exclusive rights.