[ NNSquad ] Re: Moderation policy (and previous message from Brett Glass)

At 10:38 PM 3/11/2008, Lauren Weinstein wrote:

>In respect to Brett's "airliner bomb" message, I called his comment
>"interesting" -- and sent it through -- not because I thought it had
>any validity (obviously I think it's a ridiculous comparison) but
>because it demonstrates the depth of emotion that gets tangled up in
>these topics, especially when persons' feel that possible changes in
>the regulatory landscape might negatively affect their livelihood.

Yes, I know that to some who don't operate networks for a living the
analogy might seem "over the top." But it's not. Just as a bomb is
destructive and can hurt innocent people, P2P is destructive to networks
and hurts innocent users. And, yes, there can be harm to life and limb,
because people rely on VoIP to serve as their telephone. I worry, day
and night, that if I don't provide absolutely reliable service someone
will be hurt and that I will be held liable. This is no joking matter;
networks MUST be reliable.

--Brett Glass