[ NNSquad ] DNS Interception by ISPs (was Verizon P2P discussion)

OK, we need to get to the bottom of this.  Last I heard, Verizon
allowed subscribers to opt-out of their DNS redirection service
through the rather cumbersome technique of manually changing
client DNS settings.  Can we confirm that this is no longer the
case, and that regardless of client DNS settings users' DNS requests are
routed to Verizon's "diversion" Yahoo Search DNS servers?  If this
is indeed true, it is unacceptable, but we need the facts.

There are also reports that Time Warner has started DNS
redirection on RoadRunner here in Southern California
( http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/26/1741253 ), though
reportedly you can still change client DNS settings effectively, or
can opt-out of their various "value added" DNS services (including
what appears to be a default so-called "safe search" DNS lookup) via
this page at the moment: http://ww23.rr.com/prefs.php .

Any additional info regarding related Time Warner DNS behavior
would also be appreciated.  Thanks.