[ NNSquad ] Re: Traffic shaping law proposed in US

Phil Karn wrote:
I would hope that any such law would permit:

voluntary traffic shaping done by or with the explicit consent of the end user,
and in his interest (e.g., ensuring that his VoIP gets through when he's running
Bit Torrent);

creation of customer-controlled priority schemes, again designed to ensure that
real-time traffic is handled expeditiously;

carriers are banned from any and all discrimination on the basis of traffic
content, including port numbers. Any port blocking must be under the control of
the user.

The basic theme here, of course, is control by the end-user and not the network
operator.

This sounds pretty good. I would hope it would also permit a network operator to put limits on the _quantity_ of traffic to/from a given user. If the network is set up to allow a user to consume (say) 20 GB of download and 5GB of upload traffic per month, the operator should be allowed to react appropriately -- even though short-term burst speeds might be much higher, say 3MB/sec and 1.5MB/sec.

Appropriately includes (IMHO):
. Reducing the bit speed at the DOCSIS modem
. Dropping a portion(*) of the user's packets at any router under the ISP's control.
. "firing" the user (terminating the contract at the next renewal point or even immediately if allowed by ToS).
. Sending ICMP "Source Quench" packets.(+)

(*) determined based on quantity, _not_ service used.
(+) It is my devout hope that future protocol stacks will do something useful with these; it really is the best "neutral" way for a network operator to manage the quantity of traffic.

A really useful way to throttle down traffic, of course, is to make the "window" smaller (along with dropping some ACKs). Unfortunately, this would involve modifying packets in a way that violates the end-to-end nature of TCP. I really think SQuench would be best, except that a lot of stacks currently ignore it.

Maybe we need a new RFC: an ICMP query that asks "do you respond to source quench", with the response giving a level of handling (I'm not sure what the levels would mean, but at the very least 0: I ignore them, 1: I send fewer and smaller packets, 2: I retransmit less often, 3: 1+2.)

If the host answers "0" or doesn't respond, the intermediary should be allowed (explicitly, by RFC) to modify the window field in TCP headers, in order to ensure that traffic does not exceed their ability to handle it.