[ NNSquad ] Re: define: "service providers have to manage their networks somehow, especially during peak times."

Robb Topolski wrote:

No system runs well when demand outstrips its capacity
for extended periods. Network operators should and do build capacity far
enough ahead of demand so that congestion-caused dropped packets are the
occasional peak-moment exception rather than the full-time rule.

This isn't feasible IMO. The data from Japan shows that one person can easily saturate 100 Mbps and maybe even more. For US ISPs to make congestion rare, they'd have to upgrade their networks by a factor of 100 or 1000 (to pick some round numbers). Besides FiOS (2.4 Gbps down/1.2 Gbps up) I don't think ISPs can afford the upgrade. And that's only to satisfy the demand that exists today.

I think we are going to be living in a world where the last mile will be continuously saturated during peak hours. (It could be worse; when I was in college our Internet connection was saturated 24x7.) If ISPs can't eliminate congestion, they'll want to manage it.

"Especially during peak times" is the part I'm struggling with.  I can think
of a few examples, but not many -- and certainly none that come
approximately close to what the ISPs are actually doing.  My examples of
acceptable peak-time management include:

- asking users to voluntarily back-off during peak hours

Many users are irresponsible teenagers (but I repeat myself), so that's not going to work.

 - selling tiers that cap to different speeds or charges a premium for high
consumption during "prime time"

Customers will hate non-flat-rate pricing. Customers will hate any reduction in claimed service (i.e. if an ISP promises 7 Mbps, then changes the plan to be 7 Mbps off-peak / 2 Mbps peak for the same price).

 - supporting an accepted "Internet Standard"-level QoS method so that users
can identify which of their packets require special handling during moments
of congestion

I like the idea of customers marking their traffic, but realistically customers would have to rely on their Linksys router to mark traffic for them, and right now the router doesn't do that. In the near term, ISPs are going to have to treat all traffic from a customer equally.

The great thing about Internet QoS standards is that there are so many to choose from. If a few broadband ISPs would choose one and say that they're going to implement it, then the router vendors could start writing code.

John Nagle and Richard Bennett have comments on this topic: http://bennett.com/blog/index.php/archives/2008/03/24/nagles-answer/

Wes Felter - wesley@felter.org