[ NNSquad ] Re: [IP] Re: a wise word from a long time network person -- Merccurynews report on Stanford hearing

No, it isn't.  Your firewalling analogy doesn't hold up either; the
correct response from a firewall should be an ICMP Type 3 packet
(destination unreachable) with a code of either 9, 10, or 13 (the
"administratively prohibited" codes).  The correct response for
traffic management is an ICMP Source Quench message.  None of these
require forgery of IP headers or TCP flags.

--
William S. Duncanson
caesar@starkreality.com

   [ I'd prefer not to slide into a firewall response argument right
     now.  Let's consider this thread closed here for the time being
     -- it can be continued on the NNSquad Forum if desired.