[ NNSquad ] Re: Blocking Comcast's Sandvine with simple firewall rules?

Monday, June 30, 2008, 8:38:13 PM, you wrote:

> I suspect I'm not the only person on this list to see this story on Slashdot
> today.

> http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/06/30/0249249

The return volley has already been fired--

http://coderrr.wordpress.com/2008/06/28/detecting-ssh-tunnels/

>From the article--
"They claim their technique can differentiate between “normal” ssh or
scp sessions and ssh sessions which are being used to tunnel traffic
(through ssh’s port forwarding mechanism). This is accomplished
through a naive Bayes classifier, which they first trained with
“normal” ssh sessions. The two variables used to classify a session
are the size of the packets and the difference in arrival time of two
consecutive packets. With just these, they can classify with 99%
accuracy whether an ssh session is a tunnel. They were also able to
classify the actual protocol (P2P, POP, SMTP, HTTP) of the tunneled
connection with close to 90% accuracy."

--
Best regards,
 bj                            mailto:bj@bitchslappin.net