[ NNSquad ] Re: Blocking Comcast's Sandvine with simple firewall rules?

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Nick Weaver <nweaver@gmail.com> wrote:
> One correction...
>
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Nick Weaver <nweaver@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Likewise, I can tell you that my ISP does a "shape early" policy,
>> where the start of large uploads receive more bandwidth (it starts off
>> at 140 KB/s, quickly reducing to ~40 KB/s after about 1 MB.)
>> regardless of congestion.
>
> This is assuming you trust SSH's performance figures.  It could be bad
> tool, and is just overestimating early transfer rates.  I haven't done
> a low level packet count verification/graph yet.

As a final corection, I went and did a packet measurement.  The packet
counts don't significantly change, so QED, I was mistaken in trusting
SSH's performance figures.

Lesson being: Unless you build the tool or deeply understand how it
does a measurement, you can't trust it, and trusting it was a mistake.