[ NNSquad ] DPI Abuse: A rotten egg by any other name would smell as rotten

Telephony Online: "DPI: A scorned technology that's thriving"
(second of three parts):
http://telephonyonline.com/iptv/news/dpi-scorned-but-thriving-0721/

I might note that I'm getting very tired of attempts to equate
voluntarily subscribed services like Google Gmail with intrusive
"opt-out-only" (or maybe no opt-out at all) ISP DPI wiretapping
operations.

It's completely reasonable to choose/hire a service to read and
otherwise help you manage your correspondence, electronic or
physical.  This is a purely opt-in choice.

However, the existence of such possible arrangements does not
somehow give permission for the postal service, phone companies, or
ISPs to tap your Internet data stream looking for tidbits to
monetize without your explicit, affirmative, opt-in permission.