[ NNSquad ] Bandwidth caps

------- Forwarded Message

From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
To: "ip" <ip@v2.listbox.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 18:35:09 -0700
Subject: [IP] Re:    That 5 gigabit cap is pulled back

I STRONGLY agree with Bob djf

From: Bob Frankston [Bob19-0501@bobf.frankston.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 8:56 PM
To: David Farber; 'ip'
Cc: 'Dave Burstein'; 'Lauren Weinstein'
Subject: RE: [IP] That 5 gigabit cap is pulled back

Why is a byte cap on local traffic fair? What am I consuming and why shouldn't I be able to watch 24x7 video streams from a local school or community event or from my neighbor?  How is that different from a byte cap for the traffic within my home? Remember when some carriers wanted to sell home networking as an added value service?

I realize that pricing is an art and you have to allocate costs. This is why a restaurant bundles the cost of space in the price of a sandwich.

But we are talking about our fundamental ability to communicate within our community ? there better be a very good reason for imposing limits on our ability to speak using assets that are easily paid for and have low operating costs which aren?t closely tied to traffic.

Remember these are the very same assets that run 24x7 gigabit streams of the carriers? bits in broadcast mode. What a waste!