From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
To: "ip" <ip@v2.listbox.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 04:28:29 -0700
Subject: [IP] Re:  That 5 gigabit cap is pulled back

From: Bill Williamson [bill@bbqninja.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 7:14 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: Bob19-0501@bobf.frankston.com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: That 5 gigabit cap is pulled back

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 11:35 AM, David Farber <dave@farber.net> wrote:
> I STRONGLY agree with Bob djf

Living in Australia under the regime of Telstra (and thus expensive
uplink/peering) we are used to bandwidth capping, for better or worse
(mostly the second...).  The ISPs are mostly beholden to telstra
because THEY are directly charged based on usage... so the economics
work differently (tesltra charges differing costs for DSLAM ports
wholesale DEPENDING ON USAGE, not just speed!!!)

However, many ISPs here do some neat tricks:
- -locally hosted content (via ftp/rsync/steam server mirror/etc) is quota free
- -anything staying on that ISPs network is quota free (direct transfers
to my neighbor, or even friend across town, is free)
- -There is a "local only" peering network called PIPE who connects
major cities.  This allows friendly ISPs to offer free traffic BETWEEN
ISPs, as long as they don't touch the telstra network (and thus are
peered through pipe)

We have a best of/worst of situation.... horrible conditions, but it's
lead to what I feel are useful innovations.
- --Bill