[ NNSquad ] Re: Odlyzko: "The delusions of net neutrality"

On 18 aug 2008, at 18.05, Andrew Odlyzko wrote:

In case you are interested, I have a new short note,
"The delusions of net neutrality," to be presented at
next month's Telecommunications Policy Research
Conference, that is at

  http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~odlyzko/doc/net.neutrality.delusions.pdf

Andrew

Allow me first of all to introduce myself - I work in R&D for a DPI vendor. These are my personal comments, neither authored nor approved by the company (other than in the sense of them not minding me blogging), but I figured that fair's fair in terms of reasonable disclosure.

I read through your paper and found that I'm not entirely in agreement with parts of it. Mainly I have to disagree on the bit about video over the net being "not difficult at all". As such, I tried to cover another angle, cover why it isn't that trivial and some of the reasoning. Since 'Net neutrality' is about as a fuzzy a term as 'DPI' (ask four people what they mean by it and you'll get at least four different answers), I'm afraid that the response is somewhat verbose due to this.

http://www.shortpacket.org/2008/08/on-streaming-video.html

Regards,

Kriss
Shortpacket.org