[ NNSquad ] Re: Barbara Esbin replies regarding her paper

Barbara Esbin wrote:
Dave:
I have been receiving my IP list messages in digest form, and learned of
this post from some other list recipients who apparently got it last
night. I am glad to you remembered to mark the 10th anniversary of the
publication of my OPP Working Paper No. 30, "Internet Over Cable:
Defining the Future in Terms of the Past." I had forgotten to mark the
anniversary myself, but fully agree with your point about remembering
history so that we may learn from it. I did find the contemporary
write-ups of the Paper in the post below both interesting, from a
historical perspective, and somewhat distressing in their apparent lack
of understanding of the nature and point of my Paper: First, as the
Working Paper clearly states, the views expressed were my own and "do
not necessarily reflect the views of the Federal Communications
Commission or any of its Commissioners or other staff." I cannot stress
strongly enough that my Working Paper was not a "trial balloon" sent up
by the FCC concerning its regulatory jurisdiction over the Internet.

An important point, and I thank Esbin for bringing it up.

[snip]
(For a more recent analysis that discusses the lack of FCC jurisdiction
to regulate by "adjudication" the network management practices of a
cable Internet service provider, please see my paper entitled, "The Law
is Whatever the Nobles Do; Undue Process at the FCC," at
http://www.pff.org/issues-pubs/pops/2008/pop15.12undueprocess.pdf).

I read this, and came away somewhat confused.

I can't tell if Esbin is arguing that the FCC _should_ regulate Internet over cable, but should do it in a different (and fairer) manner, or if she has changed her mind and feels that the FCC should leave Internet over cable alone, along with other Internet services (which would have the advantage of consistency). And if she has changed her mind, whether this arises from significant further study of the subject matter, or if she is simply working for a different interest now.

I had one other problem with this paper. While the opening and closing are written in nice, clear English (including a Kafka fable, about as clear as Kafka ever gets), the internals are in regulatory-ese. There is so much discussion of details of how various kinds of proceedings are to be conducted, and why the FCC's ruling doesn't comply, that it almost (almost) begins to read like the arguments of some tax protesters, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_protester_statutory_arguments

This is not to say that I think Esbin's paper falls into that sort of nonsense. Merely that it is confusing and partly gives that impression (to the layman).

Overall, I think I agree with the main thrust of Esbin's paper: that the FCC does _not_ currently have the authority to issue the ruling it did in the Comcast case. And that before proceeding further in this or any similar case, the FCC should comply with the procedures for rulemaking (prior notice, specific types of hearings, etc.)

I also strongly suspect that the FCC simply _does not_ have the statutory authority to do what it has done, or even to make rules that would enable it to do so.

I think Congress should, after due consideration and (as usual) giving all interested parties a chance to comment (and to contribute bribes\\\\\\ campaign contributions), _grant_ such a rulemaking power to the FCC, within strict limits (to apply only to the cables/fibers and other physical infrastructures and not to the service built on top of those). I recognize that this is a slow process and may take years. Nonetheless, I believe it is the right way to proceed in a country that is supposed to be governed by the rule of law.

During the past eight years, we have seen entirely too much of what happens when the rule of law is ignored for expediency. I have no desire to see us go further down that path, even though I think the goal (Net Neutrality and/or increased competition at the "last mile") is laudable. IOW, the ends, desirable as they are, do not justify the means.