[ NNSquad ] Re: NYTimes: Metering the Internet

At 09:05 AM 9/18/2008, Bob Frankston wrote:

>The telling phrase is "cover 95% of their customers".
>
>Imagine the US First Amendment modified to protect your right to say
>anything you want provide 95% of the people approve and are already saying
>it.

Not analogous.

>If there were competitive marketplace it would be one thing

There is. There are more than 4,000 competitive wireless ISPs And this
doesn't even include the wired ones.

>but as long as a carriers are given control over our First Amendment rights

As Lauren points out, Bob (and this is one of the very few points on which
I agree with him), the First Amendment applies to the government and your
relationship with it, not to private parties. That's why it begins
with the words, "Congress shall make no law."

At 02:45 PM 9/18/2008, Barry Gold wrote:

>It may be true that "all you can eat" is no longer a viable business model,

It isn't if there are no rules at the buffet. "All you can eat" buffets have
rules: No sneaking food out to others; eat everything you take; you can't
stay all day; you can't raid the kitchen. Our ISP would much rather impose
restrictions that implicitly limit the amount that users consume (just as a
buffet relies on your stomach having a maximum capacity) rather than
imposing penalties. Unfortunately, advocates of "network neutrality" are
attempting to prohibit this. If they succeed, there will be no more "all
you can eat;" that business model will effectively have been outlawed.

>What's the answer?  I don't know.  Maybe they can just reallocate resources and increase prices a little.  Maybe they need to go to "plan A: 3MB/sec, 100GB/month," "Plan B: 4.5 MB/sec, 200 GB/month", etc.  If you exceed your limit, they either slow you way down or cut off your access to everything except email (through their server) and http to their own websites, where you can ask why you can't reach the rest of the world and be told why.

All unfriendly options. We don't see our customers as our enemies. They
love us because the bill is the same every month; no surprises. And they
value that far more than they value being able to squander expensive
bandwidth.

--Brett Glass