[ NNSquad ] Botnets and bandwidth caps

It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see how existing distributed
malicious botnets could be configured to such a destructive purpose
quite easily, and they could offer it as a "service" just like spam.

They'd be running up the meter both on the contaminated sites doing
the transmitting and of course on the target sites who would really
be getting blasted.  And there's such a wide range of data types that
they could use to keep the usage meters spinning merrily, and
basically little or nothing really effective that targeted end users
could do to stop cap attacks in progress other than to tell the ISP to
shut down the service entirely -- which of course could well be one
purpose of the attacks in the first place!

And remember, TW is talking about caps ranging from 5 GB to 40 GB,
with per GB charges for exceeding your level.  It's not as if
attackers even need to reach 250 GB for everyone to cause plenty
of grief.

The ramifications of caps and usage sensitive pricing in today's
Internet environment are even nastier than is obvious at first
glance.