[ NNSquad ] Re: Effects of bandwidth restrictions (from IP)

But if I want to recover the 130GB I have backed up remotely that means I
need to wait over three months?

-----Original Message-----
From: nnsquad-bounces+nnsquad=bobf.frankston.com@nnsquad.org
[mailto:nnsquad-bounces+nnsquad=bobf.frankston.com@nnsquad.org] On Behalf Of
George Ou
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 18:31
To: 'Lauren Weinstein'; nnsquad@nnsquad.org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: Effects of bandwidth restrictions (from IP)

This is starting to get really silly.  We're looking at about 40 MBs for
Windows update per month which is 1000 smaller than Time Warner's 40GB cap.

  [ Don't fail to account (no pun intended) for the psychological
    aspects of caps.  In many areas of life -- not just
    technology-related ones -- it's long been recognized that people
    do not necessarily react to perceived limits in completely
    logical ways.  It is not at all unreasonable to postulate that
    many persons will cut back on what they consider to be
    "expendable" downloads (e.g. routine OS and application updates)
    rather than reduce their movie downloading.  This is likely to
    be true even when the combination of both wouldn't actually
    exceed the cap.  All manner of unanticipated consequences likely
    lurk with bandwidth caps being imposed on previously "unmetered"
    services.