Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:45:23 -0500
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] a bit more --  Is Comcast Discriminating Against VoIP
	Providers?
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net>
Date: January 20, 2009 2:16:09 PM EST
To: dave@farber.net
Subject: Is Comcast Discriminating Against VoIP Providers?

<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2339204,00.asp>
Is Comcast Discriminating Against VoIP Providers?
ARTICLE DATE:  01.19.09
By  Chloe Albanesius

After a year of back and forth over Comcast's network management
practices, the cable provider is now under fire for allegedly giving
priority to its own IP-based digital phone service over that of competing
VoIP providers.

The Federal Communications Commission on Sunday penned a letter to Comcast
asking why its updated network management policy says that heavy bandwidth
users might experience "choppy" VoIP communications on competitors like
Vonage or Skype, but not necessarily on Comcast's own IP-based Digital
Voice offering.

"We seek clarification with respect to an apparent discrepancy between
Comcast's [September 19] filing and its actual or advertised practices,"
Dana Shaffer, chief of the FCC's wireline competition bureau, and Matthew
Berry, FCC general counsel, wrote in a letter to Comcast. "Comcast states
that [a bandwidth hog] may find that his 'VoIP call sounds choppy' [but]
draws no distinction between Comcast's VoIP offering and those offered by
its competitors."

The Comcast Web site says that Comcast Digital Voice is a separate,
facilities-based IP phone service that is not affected by Comcast's new
network management techniques. It would appear, then, that Comcast
considers its Digital Voice offering a telephone service, not an Internet
service, according to the FCC. If so, Comcast should be paying the same
fees incurred by traditional phone providers.

The FCC requests that "Comcast explain any reason the commission should not
treat Comcast's VoIP offering as a telecommunications service â a service
subject, among other things, to the same intercarrier compensation
obligations applicable to other facilities-based telecommunications
carriers," Shaffer and Berry wrote. "We understand that Comcast is not yet
complying with such intercarrier compensation obligations."