[ NNSquad ] [dave@farber.net: [IP] Re: BOY DO I AGREE WITH DAVID djf Senate Finance Committee's tax credits for broadband]

----- Forwarded message from David Farber <dave@farber.net> -----

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 10:29:38 -0500
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] Re:  BOY DO I AGREE WITH DAVID   djf Senate Finance Committee's
	tax credits for broadband
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed@reed.com>
Date: February 5, 2009 9:43:30 AM EST
To: dave@farber.net
Cc: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Senate Finance Committee's tax credits for broadband

Rather than analyze the complex web of potential, yet unproven,
unintentional consequences of this bill, I offer the following thought:

What aspects of this bill, if any, would engage the creative,
entrepreneurial and open engagement of a large part of the American
communications industry in building out a society where we are all *better
connected* and better able to exploit what has been shown to be the core
contributions of the Internet platform as it has rearranged all of society,
all value chains, all political processes, etc.?

I submit it contains NO ways in which creativity and entrepreneurship are
engaged. (and be clear, entrepreneurship is not a matter of greed for money
- it is a passion to realize ideas at scale).

Instead, the bill is largely a pile of payoffs, starting with the idea
that you need to "incent" people to do things with tax credits.  The
presumption that you need payoffs to get things done is pretty silly.

It may be that the folks who own last mile access franchises are not
creative or entrpreneurial, but instead the business equivalent of the
much maligned "ornery mules" who don't do anything unless you kick them in
the ass.

But mules don't reproduce, thank goodness.  Let's start riding some more
eager, strong horses instead.