[ NNSquad ] Re: New P2P Privacy System from Univ. of Washington

Richard Bennett wrote:
I think there's a big difference between technologies that can be "abused by evil people" and those that are *meant to be used by criminals in the commission of crime*. There's no legitimate reason to mask the identities of the members of a P2P swarm in any free and democratic country,

Ah. So there was no legitimate reason for the existence of anon.penet.fi or any of the subsequent remailers that have been created all over the world? Or for the various sites -- both free and pay -- that will mask your IP address when websurfing?

To me, this smacks just a little too much of the "honest people have nothing to hide, so why are you objecting if we want to search your home for contraband?"

Jacobson raises one of the interesting challenges for neutralists, to wit: if you insist that protocols remain blissfully unaware of payload, how, pray tell, do you deal with the challenge of popular and repetitive content? In the not-too-distant future, TV delivery will shift almost entirely to the Internet. Are we doomed to transmitting a unique copy of the entire packet stream of each episode of "American Idol" to each of its 50 million viewers, or can we relax the layering dogma enough to cache copies of the stream close to the end user?

Solving this problem will require some awareness of the content by the delivery system, and that's not a bad thing, is it? According to neutralist dogma, it's the Original Sin. So the choice appears to be this: efficient networks or neutral networks, pick only one.

I guess it depends on how you define Network Neutrality -- the central question that this list is about.

But Bennett does have a point. If it is illegal (or even immoral or fattening) for ISPs to look any further than the IP header when handling packets, then a lot of strategies like caching cannot be implemented.(*)

This is why I have abandoned total opposition to DPI. Obviously, DPI can be beneficial. It is only when it is used to the detriment of the user that I object to it.

I suppose, really, we should add a bit to the header saying whether intermediaries are allowed to look inside the packet. But given how long it is taking merely to make the jump from IPv4 to IPv6, I don't see that happening any time soon.

(*) I should note that caching has the interesting property that _nobody_ is harmed. The person trying to fetch the cached page gets better response because it is delivered from a (topologically) nearby host instead of the originating host many hops further away. And other users of the same node or ISP also benefit because valuable tier 1 lines are used for non-repetitive traffic instead of being tied up with multiple copies of the same image or video.

This assumes, of course, that the ISP caches _only_ things that are truly repetitive, correctly respecting markers for when the data need to be re-fetched from the remote host.