[ NNSquad ] Re: New P2P Privacy System from Univ. of Washington

So here we are with the debate on DPI.

DPI is good when we use it to:

* Inspect content to detect and block virus or malware signatures
* Inspect content to detect and block denial of service payloads
* Inspect content to detect and block spam
* Inspect content to detect replicate data to cache data so that unicast
audio/video delivery scales
* Inspect explicit DiffServ labels to properly prioritize traffic
* Inspect protocol headers to determine implicit prioritization label in the
absence of explicit priority labels
* Inspect content to offer targeted advertising to pay for free wireless
broadband
* Inspect content to offer targeted advertising to pay for free cloud email
e.g., Gmail
* Inspect content to offer targeted advertising when user explicitly agrees
to terms and conditions

DPI is bad when we use it to:

* Inspect content to offer targeted advertising to users without disclosure
or permission from user

George Ou

     [ I don't know whose set of good/bad values that's supposed to be.
       You?  Verizon?  Eric Schmidt?  Rush Limbaugh?  Wendy Carlos?
       It's certainly not mine.