[ NNSquad ] Re: Private P2P vs. Anonymous P2P

On Feb 24, 2009, at 9:06 PM, Wes Felter wrote:

Kee Hinckley wrote:

My first thought on seeing the announcement, particularly WRT browser integration and automatic viewing of images and video, was that I finally had a way to securely share personal pictures with my family and friends that they might actually find easy to use.

I think there's some terminology confusion here. OneSwarm provides anonymity, which is good for illicit data but overkill when sharing with people you know. It's not clear whether OneSwarm provides access control; anything you publish with it may be available to all OneSwarm users. Pando and Wuala provide private P2P sharing without anonymity.

The documentation implies otherwise:

You define who your friends are, and which can see a list of files, or just fetch by name:
http://wiki.oneswarm.org/index.php/Managing_friends
And you define groups of users, and can specify what files to share with which groups:
http://wiki.oneswarm.org/index.php/Configuring_sharing

Pando is a hosted service, with file size limits and hosting time limits. The focus seems to be on sending vs. sharing, but it appears it could be used for that purpose, although there's no concept of a persistent group of people.

Wuala does appear to be closer to what I was looking for, although it's again a hosted (and presumably eventually for-pay) service, rather than an ad-hoc peer-to-per network.