[ NNSquad ] In Stunning Surprise, French Reject Oppressive Internet Law!

          In Stunning Surprise, French Reject Oppressive Internet Law!

                  http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000540.html

Greetings.  To the shock of the legislation's supporters and
detractors alike, the horrendous and oppressive proposed "Three
Strikes" Internet law that I discussed yesterday
( http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000539.html ) has been soundly
rejected by the French national assembly, by a vote of 15 - 21
( http://www.laquadrature.net/en/hadopi-rejected-by-the-assembly ).

Since the vast majority of observers on both sides of this debate had
expected the legislation to be approved, the result is nothing short
of stunning, and calls into question the entire rationale of those who
would use intellectual property concerns as an excuse to trample upon
the basic liberties and rights of Internet users.

Whether the legislators who voted down the proposal did so out of
careful analysis, primal fear of political repercussions, or some
other combination of factors is currently unclear -- nor can France or
any other country assume that new attempts to trample basic concepts
of fairness won't reemerge repeatedly related to the Internet (or in
other aspects of our lives, for that matter).

But today at least is a good day for the Internet and its users.

Vive la France!

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren@vortex.com
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
   - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
   for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Twitter: LW1